Adult day services is a professional care setting in which individuals with cognitive disabilities receive individualized therapeutic, social, and health services in a community based setting for at least some part of the day.
Adult Day Service centers provide a coordinated program of professional and compassionate services for adults in small community-based group setting. Services are designed to provide social and some health services to adults. MRSI’s ADS program is certified by the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities.
Adult Day Support
As an alternative to traditional day programs, MRSI’s adult day support is offered in small group settings, catering to the distinct interests of participants, encouraging a personal approach, and enabling a focus on learning and using new skills and knowledge. We offer distinct programs and locations for participants to choose from the Healthy Fit Club, Getting Out.
Health Fit Club
Healthy Fit Club is wonderful program for people who enjoy being physically active. Available Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Van Wert, Ohio YMCA, and at the Auglaize-Mercer County YMCA, the Health Fit Club enables participants to engage in a wide variety of activities, including swimming, utilizing various exercise equipment, participating in recreational games and sports, and more!
GO (Getting Out)
GO participants explore local areas and learn skills that will help them as community members. This program is available on Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Each week, individuals discover new and exciting places in their region! We offer this program in both our Van Wert and Celina locations.
Browse our calendar of events for sample activities offered to current participants of the Adult Day Support program. Call (419) 586-4709or e-mail email@example.com for more information, to request program enrollment forms, to sign up for activities of personal appeal, or to be added to our e-mail or traditional mailing list. Enrollment forms are also available for download online here.
Mercer Residential Service’s ADS program offers an incredible balanced range of activities that parallels the individuals we serve. The activities offered are used to assist individuals towards gaining more independence. These activities include, but are not limited to;
- Communication Devices for Individuals with difficulty in communication – We strive to ensure all opportunities are explored to create options for all individuals to have the chance to communicate in their own personal way. We use a variety of tools to be able to implement this. These tools range from basic flashcards to technology. One of the devices we use is a Talkative, this gives a choice of different responses and the client learns the button and response. The client uses this to communicate their wants, feelings. We also use a variety of Apps on the tablets. These Apps vary from yes/no buttons to more in depth choices. It is an invaluable tool when it comes to introducing communication skills to clients.
- ROM activities/ PT – We do a wide variety of exercises in house that focus on Range Of Motion. It is a priority to all staff that we assist in keeping our individuals as healthy and physically active as possible.
- Skill Stations – These are individualized “stations” that focus on a variety of life skills. They include number/ letter recognitions, patterns, sorting skills, handwriting, work skills, matching, hand manipulation, finger dexterity, money skills, hand eye coordination, and more. We alter and create new stations regularly to fit the needs of the individuals we serve. As one skill is mastered we create more. With the end goal being simply gaining independence.
- Community Employment – We have several clients who do a variety of work both in our facility and in the community. We feel very strongly that work skills, and work ethic is invaluable and the pride in the individual’s eyes when they complete a job is something they will never forget.
- Volunteering – Mercer ADS has combined with numerous businesses and locations throughout Celina in an effort to develop a Volunteering program. This Volunteering program is designed to not only give back to our community, but to generate socialization skills as well as work skills. All of which can only benefit the individuals we serve.
- Book Club – We offer a FREE book club to an individual who would like the opportunity to meet new people, socialize, and work on their literacy skills. There is no limit to who can join this book club. The facilitator is trained in assisting with reading or guiding the individual with reading. While we do focus on literacy, we also want to offer the socialization and chance to visit new locations throughout the community. This book club is free to anyone who would like to take part in it. You do not have to be a client receiving services from MRSI to join!! If you would like additional information on the book club, please contact Monica McKinney at 419-586-4709, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gift Baskets – The Mercer ADS clients have begun making gift baskets for various events. The clients are using these gift baskets not only as a way to develop work skills, but to generate their own money. All proceeds from these baskets goes directly to the clients of the ADS for additional outings, activities, extra items they may want for in the facility and more. If you are interested in purchasing a gift basket please see the “shop” page on MRSI’s Facebook page.
Specific Adult Day Support Activities or topics may include: